video

The Alamo area was originally part of a land grant from Mexico. Every tract of land had such colorful names as El Gato Grant (the pasture of the cat), Los Torritos Grant (pasture of the bulls), and Santa Anna Grant. The whole area combined was identified by the cottonwood trees along the river-front and became the "Alamo Pasture", for "Alamo" is a Spanish word for the cottonwood tree.

In 1902 P. Blalock and G. L. Hawkins started to consolidate the entire Alamo Grant by purchasing lands, which they eventually sold to John T. Beamer. Several financiers, represented by Mr. Beamer, organized a stock company and formed the Alamo Land and Sugar Company. The subsequent growing of sugar cane gave this area it's first economical boost. In 1914, Charles T. Knapp, Nick Doffing and C. H. Swallow began to colonize the area, which resulted in a town site three years later.

Several attempts to name the town in honor of C. H. Swallow failed, and "Alamo" came into being. In 1924 the community incorporated the town and Frank Denzer, originally form Minnesota who migrated south in 1918 to improve the ill health of his wife, became the first mayor of Alamo. The major challenge ot the city officials in those times was to keep the streets usable during the rainy season. This task took community effort, and was accomplished through volunteer efforts of loyal citizens.

Since those humble beginnings Alamo has grown tremendously due to the hard work of it's citizens, and presents itself today as one of the jewels among the towns along the Rio Grande.

Tourist Attractions

Phone: 956-784-7500
South on FM 907
Route 2, Box 202A
Alamo, TX 78516

advertise with us