building served as the Hidalgo County Courthouse from its construction in 1886
until the County Seat was moved to Chapin (later name Edinburg) in 1908. Made of
brick from nearby Reynosa, Mexico, it originally was a two-story structure. Its
cupola, roof, and second floor were destroyed in an early 20th-century fire. An
important building during the county's formative years, the old Courthouse later
served as an immigration and customs facility."
Flora and First Street